Local Politics

Umno to challenge MACC forfeiture of its funds

Mohamad is holding the fort as head of Umno while Datuk Seri Zahid Hamidi is on leave of absence..

Mohamad is holding the fort as head of Umno while Datuk Seri Zahid Hamidi is on leave of absence..

Syndicated News
Written by Syndicated News

KUALA LUMPUR — June 21, 2019: Umno will challenge a forfeiture action by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission of money the agency says was received from the disgraced 1Malaysia Development Berhad sovereign fund and also all other monies frozen since last year after the party lost in the general election.

In this regard, the contention by Umno deputy president Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan is that whatever money given by 1MDB had been used up, which means that whatever is left in the party’s accounts is clean money.

However he makes clear that the respective state and divisional Umno entities named among the 41 entities and individuals from which the government is seeking to forfeit RM270 million will have to put up their own defence.

According to Mohamad, the account frozen by the MACC comprises clean money received from well-wishers and donors for the general election and thus Umno has written to the agency stating why the money should be returned to the party. The letter will be used in court to challenge the seizure.

 
He disagrees with the contention that the money has already been seized because the MACC had frozen the account more than three months ago.

Among the 41 named are the Kelantan Selangor, Pahang, Kedah, Johor and Sabah state Umno and the Pekan division headed by former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak. The MACC’s allegation is that monies received came from Najib’s personal account.

Mohamad said the letter to the agency will be used in court after a one-year deadline is over.
 

Comments

comments

About the author

Syndicated News

Syndicated News

News sourced from Bernama, Reuters, AFP and other accredited news agencies, including credible blogsites and news portals.