KUALA LUMPUR – February 21, 2018: In what looks like a first for a political party anywhere in the world, the Pakatan Harapan opposition has so far unveiled two manifestos with different promises for the 14th general elections.
As if that’s not enough, it was stated by its chairman Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamad yesterday that a third is on the way, with the former prime minister adding that the pact would not be held responsible for any manifesto unveiled by an individual, for which there has in fact been none so far.
The first manifesto, a five-pointer, was outlined by Mahathir himself on October 31 and this was followed by the 13-point declaration at the group’s national convention on January 6.
When referred to this today, Pribumi Bersatu’s head policymaker and strategist Dr. Rais Hussin described the two as mere teasers, snippets.
But no one referred to them as such then. Both were clearly called manifestos by those in Pakatan’s leadership.
Pribumi Bersatu, by the way, is the party founded by Mahathir and of which he chairs.
“At the PH convention, we only revealed just snippets of it,” was the explanation by Rais.
What was more perplexing and disturbing was Mahathir’s remarks that Pakatan may not be able to fulfil all its promises, which Rais attributed to misreporting.
But checks with three news sources which covered Mahathir’s press conference yesterday confirmed that all three carried the same remarks.
We put here verbatim what Rais said on this: “What he said was some of the views and wishlists of the people spoken by various Pakatan leaders at different times has been scrutinised and evaluated for its practicality.
“The (coming) manifesto will encapsulates all views from various stake holders keeping in mind of its practicality.