Local

Tourism Minister wants departure levy postponed

Datuk Mohammadin Ketapi

Datuk Mohammadin Ketapi

Ahirul Ahirudin
Written by Ahirul Ahirudin

KUALA LUMPUR – July 11, 2019: Tourism, Arts and Culture Minister Datuk Mohamaddin Ketapi today expressed support for a proposal by an opposition member of parliament to postpone the implementation of departure levy, due for Sept 1..

Datuk Jalaluddin Alias (Jelebu-BN) had earlier told the Parliament that he was informed that low-cost carrier AirAsia Bhd was concerned about the impact of the levy on the country’s tourism industry and wished for it to only be implemented after Visit Malaysia Year 2020.

Mohamaddin, in his reply, said he agreed with the proposal and promised to personally raise the matter with Finance Minister Lim Guan Eng and will try to convince the latter to defer the levy.

“Because I have said that I agree (with the proposed postponement), I will try to negotiate with the finance minister,” he said.

Last week, it was reported that the departure levy will be gazetted this month for implementation in September.

The government had initially planned to impose the levy from June 1 but Deputy Finance Minister Datuk Amiruddin Hamzah said that it will most likely be in effect after the Haj pilgrimage season in August.

Once the departure levy comes into force, those departing from Malaysian airports to Asean destinations will have to pay RM20, and RM40 for other foreign destinations.

The Finance Ministry expects the collection from levy to be between RM900 million and RM1 billion per year.

Comments

comments

About the author

Ahirul Ahirudin

Ahirul Ahirudin