PUTRAJAYA — September 10, 2017: The residents of Taman Melawati have lodged a report with the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission over what they consider to be an element of corruption relating to the cancellation of a plan for a park there.
In this regard, they claim to smell of abuse of power simply because the land originally meant for the park was later slotted for a convention centre.
It is because of this change that the chairman of the residents’ association, Razman Hakimi Abdullah, would like the agency to investigate if there was any wrongdoing.
Five years ago residents were told they would get a public park in exchange for allowing a developer to build a shopping mall on a plot that used to be a football field.
The residents are especially disappointed with Selangor Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Azmin Ali because he had assured them last month that they would indeed be getting their park.
Azmin also said he was willing to sacrifice his parliamentarian service centre located within the vicinity of the site so that there will be space for the park.
At a September 20 meeting between the residents and the president of the Majlis Perbandaran Ampang Jaya Abdul Hamid Abdul Hussain, they were told that the plan for the convention centre would proceed.
The Mole understands that the residents are also considering to take the matter to court.
“We will not stop until we get our answers,” said Razman.