Politics

Syed Saddiq insists Papagomo still in trouble

Syed Saddiq Syed Abdul Rahman and Wan Muhammad Azri Wan Deris

Syed Saddiq Syed Abdul Rahman and Wan Muhammad Azri Wan Deris

Zaidi Azmi
Written by Zaidi Azmi

KUALA LUMPUR — February 20, 2019: It is not over yet — well as far as Youth and Sports Minister Syed Saddiq Syed Abdul Rahman is concerned at least regarding the issue he had recently with Umno Youth member and blogger Wan Muhammad Azri Wan Deris alias Papagomo.

“Papagomo was only released on police bail. This means police can still summon him anytime. The Deputy Inspector-General of Police (Tan Sri Noor Rashid Ibrahim) has also informed (me) that investigation is ongoing,” insists Syed Saddiq in a statement today.

Earlier today, Noor Rashid said that Papagomo had been released because the police decided that what happened between the two was nothing more than a misunderstanding.

“This allegation, I don’t find it to be so serious that a fight occurred… there was a misunderstanding; some pulling and shoving. He can be bailed and this case will be solved soon,” said Noor Rashid.

Papagomo was detained on Sunday and remanded the day after, following a report by Syed Saddiq alleging that the former had assaulted him after the nomination for the Semenyih by-election.

In the incident, Syed Saddiq was harassed by some Barisan Nasional supporters after he had used a route the Election Commission had designated for BN supporters.

He alleged that Papagomo had put him in a headlock and threatened him, which the blogger denied and maintained that he was only hugging Syed Saddiq to protect him from a rowdy group.

Comments

comments

About the author

Zaidi Azmi

Zaidi Azmi

If Zaidi Azmi isn’t busy finding his way in the city, this 26-year-old northern kampung boy can be found struggling to make sense of the Malaysian political scene. Zaidi can be reached at [email protected]