KUALA LUMPUR — June 25, 2019: The 41 individuals and entities named as respondents in the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission’s civil forfeiture suits to recover RM270 million said to be from 1Malaysia Development Berhad can file affidavits against the move.
This will enable them to provide evidence to deny their involvement.
“The 41 respondents have the opportunity to respond to and argue the case. Those who have solid evidence on how they received the money are welcomed to file an affidavit and we will reply in court.
“Giving evidence through the media or other platforms will just sensationalise the issue. Put it in the affidavit, then only it can be used in court,” MACC chief commissioner Latheefa Koya said today after she had taken the oath of office before Yang di-Pertuan Agong Al-Sultan Abdullah Ri’ayatuddin Al-Mustafa Billah Shah.
Former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak had earlier asked the MACC to provide solid evidence for its suits and that he had evidence the money deposited into his private bank account was donated by the Saudi Arabian government.
The agency had on June 19 filed the suits in accordance with the Anti-Money Laundering, Anti-Terrorism Financing and Proceeds of Unlawful Activities Act. Latheefa said this was done as the agency believed the monies were transferred from Najib’s bank account.
The respondents comprise political parties, foundations and companies, including Umno divisions, Parti Rakyat Bersatu Sabah, MCA and and Pertubuhan Kebajikan dan Dakwah Islamiah Malaysia.
According to Latheefa, several respondents had agreed to return the money without waiting for the trial. — Bernama