Business

Proton X70 to be launched tomorrow

Proton-X70-SUV-1-630x315

Ahirul Ahirudin
Written by Ahirul Ahirudin

KUALA LUMPUR – December 11, 2018: Tomorrow is the day of the much awaited launch of Proton X70 which will take place at Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre.

The Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV) is Proton’s first since it partnered Geely last year

The X70, which is based on the facelifted Geely Boyue will be offered in four variants starting with the baseline Standard 2WD, followed by Executive 2WD, Executive AWD and Premium 2WD variants. All are powered by a 1.8 litre turbocharged and direct-injected four-cylinder petrol engine, producing 181 hp at 5,500 rmp and 285 Nm of torgue from 1,700 to 4,400 rpm.

The engine is mated to a six-speed automatic gear box and accelerates from zero to 100 km/h in 10.5 seconds (2WD) with a claimed fuel consumption of 7.8 litres per 100km.

So far, it is known specification wise that the Standard 2WD  gets halogen headlights, 17-inch alloy wheels, fabric seats and Geely Smart Ecosystem (GKUI) infotainment system as standard across the range.

Moving up, Executive 2WD will net buyers LED headlights and daytime running lights, 18-inch wheels, faux leather upholstery, power-adjustable driver’s seat and a 360-degree camera system.

Top-spec Premium 2WD throws in real Nappa leather, power-adjustable passenger seat, 19-inch two-tone allow wheels and a 10-speaker Kenwood sound system , including a dedicated subwoofer fitted above the spare tyre.

Safety-wise, all models will get six airbags, Anti-Lock braking  with Electronic Braking Distribution and brake assist, stability control and rear ISOFIX child seat anchors, with the Executive AWD throwing in a tyre pressure monitoring system.

The Premium 2WD variant is the only variant to get an Advanced Driver Assistance System (ADAS), consisting of autonomous emergency braking, lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control, blind spot monitoring and auto high beam.

Prices of Proton X70 variants will be made known at tomorrow’s event which starts at 8pm.

Meanwhile in another development, a check by The Mole has revealed that an online portal’s claim that 150 Chinese nationals had been hired by Geely in Proton is not true.

“There are only about 20 or so executives brought in, and even then, the number is small considering that our partnership with Proton is almost 50-50. You can literally come to our office and count just how many Chinese national executives are here,” said a source with Geely.

Another source, however, confirmed a separate claim that Proton Edar Chief Executive Office Datuk Rashid Musa is leaving the company to join UMW Holdings Bhd as its president of manufacturing and engineering department.

The source nonetheless denied the claim that it had been decided for Rashid to be replaced by a Chinese national.

“It is true that Rashid is leaving, but so far Proton has not named his replacement,” said the source.

Repeated attempts to contact Rashid today was to no avail.

Rashid has been the CEO of Proton Edar since February last year and has 27 years of experience in the automotive industry. He was Proton’s Chief Technical Officer and is instrumental in the development of the company’s new models in 2016.

Comments

comments

About the author

Ahirul Ahirudin

Ahirul Ahirudin