PETALING JAYA, July 21 2019 : A heavily pregnant woman and her husband were among four who were killed after they were believed to have been electrocuted when the staircase of a two-storey house, which was undergoing renovations, collapsed at Kampung Matang Pagar, Sungai Buloh, near here today.
In the incident at 12.30 pm, Wan Hasheliza Wan Ibrahim, 29, who was pregnant with her first child, was eating durian under the staircase when the structure which was under construction collapsed.
Her husband, Shahril Apipie, 29, and two others, namely, Mohd Radezi Abdul Aziz, 35, and an Indonesian man, Bambang Sulustio, 39, were killed when they tried to rescue the woman.
‘’Her husband and two others who heard shouts for help rushed to help the victim.
‘’Unfortunately, they were all killed when they were electrocuted when they came into contact with a live electrical cable near the staircase was believed to have been severed by the collapse,’’ said Selangor Fire and Rescue Department, Zone One chief Razali Mohd Nasir when met at the scene of the incident.
The two-storey house was divided into three units and the unfortunate couple, who were from Kelantan, were among the three families renting the units.
The upper floor of the house and the collapsed staircase were being renovated when the mishap occurred.
Razali said that seven firemen from the Sungai Buluh Fire and Rescue Station rushed to the location of the mishap after receiving an emergency call at 12.57 pm.
‘’The operation to take out the victims were done after Tenaga Nasional Berhad (TNB) had cut the power supply to the house. The victims were taken out 40 minutes later,’’ he said.
Razali said that all the bodies were taken to the Sungai Buluh Hospital for post-mortems. – Bernama