ARAU, Sept 27 2019 : Police will take appropriate action to investigate and identify the persons responsible for the death of firefighter Muhammad Adib Mohd Kassim, following the Shah Alam Coroner’s Court’s inquest verdict earlier today.
Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Abdul Hamid Bador said he would hold discussions with his officers in Bukit Aman to determine the next steps including whether to recall some individuals who had been previously detained in connection with the case.
“Previously, we were satisfied that there was not enough evidence for us to charge anyone.
“But if the court decides that there are criminal elements (in connection with Muhammad Adib’s death) then we will review the case,” he told reporters after officiating the Royal Malaysia Police Innovation Day 2019 here today.
He was asked to comment on the Shah Alam Coroner’s Court’s inquest verdict which established that Muhammad Adib, 24, died after he was assaulted by two or three unidentified people during a riot in the vicinity of a Hindu temple in Subang Jaya last year.
The Coroner’s Court also concluded that the failure of the police and the Federal Reserve Unit (FRU) personnel in controlling the riot also contributed to the death of Muhammad Adib.
Asked about the findings, Abdul Hamid said he would identify whether the police’s standard operating procedure (SOP) in controlling the riot was complied with during the incident.
“The SOP already exists. Whether or not it was complied with can be checked, on why the SOP was not adhered to (if any).
He also urged all parties to accept the inquest verdict and warned that no one should demonstrate or protest.
Although he was confident that this would not happen, the police were prepared to take appropriate action against those involved.
Meanwhile, Selangor police will wait for the full report on the inquest verdict before taking any further action.
Its chief Datuk Noor Azam Jamaludin said thus far, police have yet to receive the report on the inquest verdict from any party including the court.
“We accept it, and will conduct an investigation based on (the verdict).
“Thus far we have yet to receive any report of the court’s verdict. I have to check with the court,” he told reporters after attending a special assembly held for the outgoing Selangor deputy police chief Datuk Ab Rashid Ab Wahab who will be going on compulsory retirement from Sept 30, here today. – Bernama