Local

PM warns of possible new lockdown, mulls mandatory face mask use

Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin

Ahirul Ahirudin
Written by Ahirul Ahirudin

KUALA LUMPUR – July 20, 2020: Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin today warned Malaysians that the movement control order (MCO) will be reintroduced if the country’s number of Covid-19 cases rises again.

In his special address today, the prime minister said the government was also considering to make the wearing of face mask compulsory in public.

He said the Covid-19 pandemic is far from over and that there will always be the possibility of another lockdown.

“If we have to re-implement the MCO, the nation will most likely experience more economic difficulties and it will be more difficult to achieve the forecasted GDP growth in 2021,” he added.

Muhyiddin, however, believes that if the public continues to be disciplined in following the new norms, there won’t be any need for another MCO despite the worrying reports of new Covid-19 clusters in the country,

He was refering to yesterday’s report of three new Covid-19 clusters being detected with six reported cases so far.

He warned that those who breach the Covid-19 containment rules will face fines and that sterner penalties are being considered to manage the lackadaisical attitude of some Malaysians.

Comments

comments

About the author

Ahirul Ahirudin

Ahirul Ahirudin