KUALA LUMPUR – April 6, 2019: The number of signatures for an online petition calling for the removal of Federal Territories (FT) Minister Khalid Samad is fast increasing.
At press time, the number is 352.
Yesterday, an anonymous user who goes by the name ‘Happy Times’ on Change.org, initiated a petition which laments the seemingly dubious credibility of Khalid Samad who has been described as a “disappointment to the people of Kuala Lumpur.”
Within 24 hours of the launch of the petition, 300 people had signed. The target is 500.
The petition – contending that Khalid is acting as the “mouthpiece” for the developers – enumerates a list of reasons in support of this claim, which reads:
- He has called for a fresh hearing for Taman Tiara Titiwangsa despite the court ruling that Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) did not adhere to Rule 5 of the Planning Development Amendment Rules 1994 under the Federal Territory Planning Act 1982.
- His blatant disregard to the pleas of the Segambut MP, Hannah Yeoh and Taman Tun Dr Ismail residents who only wish to protect one of the last green lungs in Kuala Lumpur; including his inconsistent stand on the amount to be refunded, which he calls compensation.
- The manner he brushes off the residents’ protest with regards to a development project at the Federal Hill (Bukit Persekutuan) at Bangsar.
- The way he keeps making policy announcements without consulting stakeholders such as the closure of Jalan TAR and the closure of night entertainment spots at 1am.
- His repeated micromanagement of the operations of DBKL which seems to suggest the mayor is unable to act independently.
- His gazetting of a City Plan that was not the original formed through public consultation and which included 273 developments admittedly not complying with the KLCP2020, made without stakeholder consultation.