Local

Seven killed so far in Penang floods

Rescuers assisting a senior citizen during the flood yesterday.

Rescuers assisting a senior citizen during the flood yesterday.

Syndicated News
Written by Syndicated News

GEORGE TOWN, Nov 6 2017 : The number of deaths in the floods which hit Penang during the weekend currently stands at seven.

Timur Laut district police chief ACP Anuar Omar said the last two victims who died were found yesterday in a house in Jalan Mata Kucing, Air Itam and in front of Stadium Bandaraya, here.

“The sixth victim identified as Tan Ah Peow, 45, was found by his neighbor at 2pm today while the seventh victim, also a man, was found by a member of the public at 2.40pm.”

Anuar said no identification papers were found on the body of a shirtless man found covered in mud.

The two bodies were sent to Penang Hospital for post mortem.

Earlier, four bodies of senior citizens were found in their homes while the body of a Bangladeshi man was found in a house destroyed by a falling tree.

Almost the whole of Penang was hit by flash floods and scores of trees were uprooted in a thunderstorm which began at 2pm on Saturday and lasted until 5am yesterday morning. – Bernama 

Comments

comments

About the author

Syndicated News

Syndicated News

News sourced from Bernama, Reuters, AFP and other accredited news agencies, including credible blogsites and news portals.