Local Politics

Nazri no longer BN sec-gen; appointment unconstitutional

Datuk Seri Mohamed Nazri Abdul Aziz

Syndicated News
Written by Syndicated News

KUALA LUMPUR — March 8, 2019: The Barisan Nasional supreme council today ruled as invalid the  appointment of Datuk Seri Nazri Aziz as secretary-general of the coalition, meaning that the post continues to be held by Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor who had not resigned or had been dismissed.

The council arrived at its decision because Nazri’s appointment had not been proposed and seconded at a council meeting.

After an announcement which surprised many in late October by BN chairman Datuk Seri Zahid Hamidi, Nazri soon after confirmed this while adding that he had been told about it three months earlier.

In stating the council decision today, BN deputy chairman Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan made clear that every decision on appointments in BN must adhere to the constitution and secure a consensus of the council. BN used to have 10 component parties but since the general elections last May the number has been reduced to three — Umno, MCA and MIC — the three original members of the Alliance former in 1957 and the precursor to BN.

“Tengku Adnan did not resign and the appointment of Datuk Seri Mohamed Nazri Abdul Aziz as the new secretary-general was not brought to the BN supreme council,” said Mohamad after he had chaired the council’s meeting.

Last Monday, MCA and MIC in a joint statement raised the point about Nazri’s appointment as not being in accordance with the coalition’s constitution and made clear they would stay away from the meeting if Nazri attended.

On Wednesday, Nazri insisted that he would not give up the post but was prepared to be kicked out.

 

Comments

comments

About the author

Syndicated News

Syndicated News

News sourced from Bernama, Reuters, AFP and other accredited news agencies, including credible blogsites and news portals.