KUALA LUMPUR — Nov. 11, 2019: Former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak has been ordered to enter his defence on seven charges of misappropriating RM42 million from SRC International Sdn. Bhd.
Justice Mohd. Nazlan Mohd. Ghazali made the decision after finding that the prosecution had established a prima facie case on three counts of criminal breach of trust, three counts of money laundering and one count of abuse of power.
The Pekan MP is accused of committing the offences between August 2011 and March 2015. Najib, who was the country’s sixth prime minister from 2009 to 2018, is the first head of government of Malaysia to be charged for any offence.
He appeared calm when the judge handed down the ruling before a packed courtroom.
Nazlan said the court found the elements of using position, dishonesty and money laundering had been proven.
He found that evidence recorded in the minutes of meetings showed that Najib was present during two meetings which approved government guarantees totalling RM4 billion for SRC by the Retirement Fund Incorporated (KWAP).
“(The) KWAP loan would not have been approved without the government guarantees and early disbursement of the loan would not have been possible if the accused was not the prime minister or finance minister at the time.
“The accused had full control over the company (SRC) as the finance minister and MOF Inc, as the sole shareholder of SRC,” he said.
The court fixed several days in December for Najib to enter his defence.
After the judge completed reading out the judgment, Najib was offered three options to make his defence and he chose to give evidence under oath from the witness stand and be subjected to cross-examination by the prosecution. — Bernama