KUALA LUMPUR– January 29, 2016: Datuk Seri Najib Razak handed today to the Kedah Council of Regency several proposals to resolve the mentri besar crisis.
The prime minister and Umno president however did not state what the proposals were but said any development would be announced in due course.
“I informed the Umno supreme council (at its meeting today) that I had an audience with the chairman of the council of regency this morning, and that I had handed over several proposals on behalf of Umno.
“The developments will be announced in due course,” he told a news conference after chairing a council meeting here.
Najib was asked if today’s meeting had discussed the position of Kedah Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Mukhriz Mahathir who is facing an expression of no-confidence by several state Umno leaders.
Asked about media reports that three people had been named as a possible successor, Najib said: “I will inform later, theproposals were not rejected, the audience went well.”
Najib said that as party president he took note of and gave serious consideration to the crisis.
“We heard there was a problem. It was a decision of the Umno divisionalchiefs. Fourteen divisional chiefs arrived at a decision.
“Therefore, as president, I have to take note of it and give serious attention.”
Mukhriz’s position came into question on January 20 after almost all the Umno divisional chiefs in Kedah expressed no-confidence in his leadership.
After the council meeting, party secretary-general Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor said whether or not Mukhriz attended the meeting was not an issue because Mukhriz is only an appointed member.
“If it was decided that he need not attend, then no need to come, that’s all there is to it.”
Tengku Adnan said he had informed Mukhriz via a telephone call this morning not to attend the meeting.
Mukhriz was at the meeting for a while before he was asked to leave. — Bernama’