Local

Najib denies accusations of receiving funds

KUALA LUMPUR, July 4, 2015 : Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak has denied the latest accusations by his political opponents that he has been receiving funds from state-own investment company 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) or any other entities.

In a statement issued late yesterday evening, the prime minister said that in recent months, various unsubstantiated and in many cases outrageous allegations had been directed against him and his family.‎

He said the  allegations began when he refused to implement personal demands of former prime minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad.

He said he refused to give in to Dr Mahathir’s demands because he does not believe that it is right for the country to be ruled by proxy.

“Tun (Dr Mahathir) then created a crisis when he recklessly claimed that RM42 billion was missing from 1MDB, when in fact these are audited debts backed by RM51 billion audited assets,” he added.

Najib said the latest allegation was that he had taken state-linked funds for personal gain.

“I believe Tun, working hand in glove with foreign nationals, including the now discredited political attack blog Sarawak Report, is behind this latest lie,” he said.

“Let me be very clear: I have never taken funds for personal gain as alleged by my political opponents – whether from 1MDB, SRC International or other entities, as these companies have confirmed.”

Sarawak Report yesterday published an article accusing the prime minister of being the recipient of  multi-billion ringgit funds  from a company linked to 1MDB.

Najib stressed that such false allegations were part of a concerted campaign of political sabotage to topple him as a democratically elected prime minister.

“At no point have those making these allegations offered any evidence. All we have heard is that these allegations are based on leaked documents and unnamed investigators.

“Not once has the source of these documents ever been shown, neither have the documents themselves been provided for verification by lawful authorities.”

Najib said the public should know by now that a number of the documents on which the recent allegations have been based were doctored as reported by the media.

“The person who was leaking these documents is under investigation by authorities overseas for attempting to extort and blackmail his former employer.

“This says a lot about the reliability of the documents, and those who are using them to damage our government and our country.”

On June 24, Thailand police were reported to have arrested Swiss national Xavier Justo, a former employee of PetroSaudi International Ltd (PSI) for attempting to blackmail the company, allegedly using doctored documents related to PSI’s ties with 1MDB.

Najib warned that those who were behind the false allegations will face “the consequences of their actions”.

“These gutter tactics – in some cases criminal tactics – to overthrow the government will fail. Where appropriate, they will be met with the full force of the law,” he said.

He added that it was unfortunate that the false allegations which were motivated by self interest came at a time of unique opportunity for Malaysia as the country this year assumed the chairmanship of Asean, and the status of developed nation status was within its reach.

Najib nonetheless reaffirmed in the statement that “I will stay focused on the work of nation building for the people”.

ENDS

Comments

comments

About the author

Shahrum Sayuthi

Shahrum Sayuthi