ALOR SETAR, May 13 2020: Datuk Seri Mukhriz Mahathir today insisted that he is still the Kedah Menteri Besar.
He said he will continue to lead Kedah until a motion of no confidence against him has been passed in the state assembly,
“News of my (political) death has been highly exaggerated,” he told the media here in response to a string of statements showing he has lost the support of the majority in the state assembly.
“I am still here. My government exists. It is not true that the Kedah government has fallen.”
Mukhriz, who resigned from the post four years ago has been under pressure to do so again following the collapse of the Pakatan Harapan federal government in February.
Kedah opposition leader Muhamad Sanusi Md Nor of Pas had earlier today said that 23 of the 36 assemblymen had signed statutory declarations (SDs) for Mukhriz to be removed from his menteri besar post.
Mukhriz, however, insisted that an authoritative source is needed on any loss of confidence in his leadership.
“Who are we to believe what is said in a press conference by the opposition leader?
“What SDs?” he added. “Before this, I met with all Pakatan Harapan and PPBM assemblymen, and they too signed SDs supporting my leadership and consented to forming a PH-PPBM state government. That was when the federal government fell to Perikatan Nasional,” he said.