KUALA LUMPUR, Oct 8 2018 : The English-language newspaper, The Star has been urged to tender an open apology for writing a wrong report which causes confusion in society.
In a statement issued last night, Siti Zulaikha Zulkifli, the press secretary to the Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department (Religion), Datuk Dr Mujahid Yusuf Rawa, said the apology should be published in their newspaper and portal.
She said stricter action would be taken if the open apology was not made within 24 hours.
On Saturday, the newspaper published a report titled ‘No More Moral Policing’ and the online version of ‘No more night khalwat raids or intrusions into Muslims’ private lives says Mujahid’
Siti Zulaikha also pointed out that Mujahid had not issued a statement at all like the title printed by the English language newspaper during the interview with the newspaper.
She said after closer observation was made, she found the Mujahid did not mention the words at all as had been written in the news in the first paragraph, namely, ‘No more knocks on the door in the middle of the night and no more breaking down of doors by the religious authorities investigating reports of khalwat or other alleged wrongdoings’.
“Following the sensationalising of the title as well as the first paragraph was written based on the interpretation of the journalist from the media, this news became viral causing a misunderstanding especially against Muslims in the country.
‘’I deeply respect the freedom of the media, but this does not mean the media can write news out of context which triggered a public debate and impacted negatively on him (Mujahid)”. – Bernama