KUALA LUMPUR — January 11, 2019: Home Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin has refuted a claim by an MP that he had disregarded an instruction for the police to reopen investigations into the death of political aide Teoh Beng Hock in 2009.
On the contrary, Muhyiddin pointed out that this had been dealt with almost three months ago, with the investigation papers submitted to the Attorney-General’s Chambers on October 18.
Yesterday DAP MP for Bukit Gelugor, Ramkarpal Singh, claimed that Muhyiddin had ignored the AG’s instruction to police on July 17 last year to reopen the case. He further claimed that the minister had failed to reply to his letter despite the police being under the purview of the home ministry.
Said Muhyiddin in response today: “His (Ramkarpal’s) statement about me was reckless and untrue. As an MP of the ruling coalition he should have been more careful in making statements, especially when it involves civil servants.”
Muhyiddin also said Attorney-General Tommy Thomas had given his instructions to the police’s special task force in charge of investigating Teoh’s death and that the investigation is still ongoing. The task force is headed by Deputy Commissioner Datuk K. Manoharan.
Teoh, a former aide of DAP Seri Kembangan assemblyman Ean Yong Hian Wah, was found dead after falling nine floors from the former Selangor Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission headquarters in Shah Alam where he had been held overnight for questioning.