KUALA LUMPUR — Feb. 20, 2018: Opposition strongman Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamad has hinted that he was uncertain of the ability of his Pakatan Harapan to implement all its general election manifestos.
“We have made 60 promises and we hope we will be able to implement them even though they may not be like what are expected by the people,” he said.
In the next breath he added that with the financial capabilities available, it was unlikely that Pakatan could deliver the excessive promises, without elaborating on what these were.
Therefore, Pakatan will only make promises which it is capable of fulfilling, said the Pakatan Harapan and Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia chairman at a press conference after chairing the Pakatan presidential council meeting in Petaling Jaya today.
He also said the Pakatan manifesto will be issued soon. (Note from eThe Mole: An anti-corruption Pakatan manifesto was read out by Mahathir at the Parliament building on October 15 last year and while at the launch of the Setiawangsa Pribumi Bersatu division on January 15, the party’s deputy president Datuk Seri Mukhriz Mahathir spoke on yet another manifesto that will limit the prime minister to two-terms in office, apart from separating the finance minister’s post from the prime ministership, among other things.)
According to Mahathir, the Pakatan top leadership will not be responsible for any manifesto from their leaders that were made in a personal capacity.
“We are aware that before we complete the manifesto, many Pakatan Harapan leaders had made certain statements but we (Pakatan Harapan) are not bound to such statements,” he said.
Mahathir also said that Pakatan will appeal to the court this Thursday since the Registrar of Societies has still not responded to its application to be registered as a party. — Bernama