Local

Loke promises again that all ex-SPAD staff will get jobs

pix-for-wawancara-anthony-loke-DALAM

Zaidi Azmi
Written by Zaidi Azmi

KUALA LUMPUR — January 4, 2019: In a case made out perfectly for dissertation by those pursuing their post-graduate qualifications, Transport Minister Anthony Loke has doled out another promise of re-employment — which he previously was unable to honour — to former Land Public Transport Commission (SPAD) staff who ended up jobless after the agency was decommissioned four days ago.

The peculiarity of his promise however lies on the contradicting deadlines for the fiasco to be resolved.

Earlier today, Loke, upon insisting that he is committed to fulfill this latest promise, told a local news portal that the controversy will be resolved next week but which his ministry had, later in the day, lengthened to “by the end of January”.

“We have already made offers to 300-plus (former SPAD staff). JPJ (Road Transport Department) will be issuing another 300… that will come to about 700, leaving some 200 more which by next week will be sorted out,” he said to the news portal.

However in the ministry’s statement, it was mentioned that as of today, 349 (only 36.3 per cent) of 961 former SPAD staff had been given the promised job offers.

And while the ministry pointed out that all former staff had received their compensation on December 31, a notice of termination and severance package stated that the compensation was supposed to be disbursed no later than December 15.

Uncertainty over the employment of the staff began when the decommissioning was announced in May 2018, soon after Pakatan Harapan won the general elections to form the federal government.

The Mole had on Wednesday reported that some 283 former SPAD staff greeted the first working day of the year with no jobs, despite Loke’s repeated assurances since last May that all will not be jobless after new year’s eve.

Earlier today, more than 250 former SPAD staff who have yet to receive the promised employment offer lodged their complaints with the Congress of Union of Employees in the Public and Civil Services Malaysian (Cuepacs).

Two weeks ago, 132 former staff submitted a memorandum to Prime Minister Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamad, asking the latter to help solve their woes as their December 15 letters of appointment did not come as promised.

Under the previous arrangement, all 967 of SPAD staff were supposed to be re-employed into not just the Ministry of Transport but several other government outfits including the JPJ and the newly-formed Land Transport Agency, SPAD’s replacement.

Comments

comments

About the author

Zaidi Azmi

Zaidi Azmi

If Zaidi Azmi isn’t busy finding his way in the city, this 26-year-old northern kampung boy can be found struggling to make sense of the Malaysian political scene. Zaidi can be reached at [email protected]