KOTA BHARU — March 15, 2017: Kelantan has declared the bird flu (H5N1) outbreak in the state a disaster.
This follows the outbreak spreading two other districts — Bachok and Pasir Puteh — after Kota Bharu and Pasir Mas.
State agriculture, agro-based industry, biotechnology and green technology committee chairman Datuk Che Abdullah Mat Nawi said the decision was taken at the state executive council meeting today based on the National Security
Council’s Directive 20.
Following this, all elated agencies will be mobilised to take preventive measures to check the spread.
The H5N1 virus, which infects birds, was first detected in Kampung Pulau Tebu, Tunjong, here on March 6 after a number of free range chickens died.
Che Abdullah said the outbreak was spreading fast despite the government taking early counter-measures as soon as it was confirmed there was an H1N5 outbreak in Kampung Pulau Tebu.
Kota Bharu is the worst hit with 18 kampungs affected thus far.
So far, 23,768 poultry livestock had been culled and 881 eggs destroyed at 129 premises as a preventive measure. — Bernama