KUALA LUMPUR – January 27, 2016: The likelihood of Kedah having a new Mentri Besar (MB) is seemingly inevitable for many in the state.
The Mole has learnt from a well-placed source that a swearing-in ceremony for a new MB will likely be carried out soon.
According to the source, all judges in the state have been summoned to the Anak Bukit Palace in Alor Setar to attend a closed-door meeting tomorrow.
“Usually, the meeting is held so as to ensure that everything (in relation with the appointment of a new MB) is done in accordance to the laws,” said the source.
However, The Mole’s attempt to confirm the matter with the Kedah Council of Regency was not successful.
The Kedah crisis was shoved into the limelight last week when almost all Barisan Nasional (BN) assemblymen in the state announced that they have lost faith in the leadership of Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Mukhriz Mahathir.
Kedah Umno division leaders have also claimed at a press conference that the state was underdeveloped and BN was disunited under Mukhriz.
The “coup” was led by Kedah Umno deputy liaison chief Datuk Seri Ahmad Bashah Md Hanipah who is also the Bakar Bata assemblyman.
The “Mukhriz ouster”, however, was not well-received among many Kedahans.
Hundreds, especially youths, have staged a support-rally for Mukhriz, imploring him to not cower down to the “warlords’ pressure.”
Not only that, some have even warned Kedah BN that if they were to replace Mukhriz, then they would “pangkah Pas” (vote Pas) in the next general election.
So far, four names were widely said to be the candidate for the new Kedah MB. They are: Datuk Ahmad Lebai Sudin (Bukit Lada), Datuk Dr Ku Abdul Rahman Ku Ismail (Guar Chempedak), Datuk Ahmad Zaini Japar (Bukit Kayu Hitam) and Bashah.
Be that as it may, matters concerning the appointment of a new MB require the approval from the Council of Regency.
Nonetheless, the council have made it clear that it was non-partisan in the ongoing political crisis in Kedah and advised the parties involved to resolve the matter themselves.