KUALA LUMPUR – June 20, 2018: Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad has now insisted that evidence is more important than sentiment in solving the 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) controversy.
He said so today in an interview with South China Morning Post where he said prosecutors were taking “a bit more time than expected” to build a case against 1MDB and its former chairman – former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak.
Dr Mahathir, who led Pakatan Harapan to victory at the May 9 polls, pointed out that facts and evidence were crucial in the court of law as they form the basis of the judges’ verdict on 1MDB.
“So that is why we are taking a little bit more time than we expected,” he said.
Dr Mahathir had previously insisted that Najib was guilty of siphoning millions of taxpayers’ money through 1MDB even before winning the election.
In an interview with ABC Online of Australian Broadcasting Corporation in July 2016, Dr Mahathir had even called for foreign nations to name and shame Najib over his alleged multi-million-dollar embezzlement.
He also echoed a similar view in an interview with Al-Jazeera, adding that Malaysians should push for a referendum to demand Najib’s removal from office over the controversy.
So far, several of Najib’s residential units had been raided and both he and his wife, Datuk Seri Rosmah Mansor have been barred from leaving the country and questioned by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC).
According to reports, authorities were considering charging Najib with money laundering and the misappropriation of property.
Attorney-general Tommy Thomas had previously confirmed receiving investigation papers from MACC and has agreed to Mutual Legal Assistance (MLA) requests from foreign jurisdictions that are also probing 1MDB.