GENEVA, July 11 2019 : Iran’s elite Revolutionary Guards today rejected a U.S. claim that they tried to stop a British tanker in the Persian Gulf yesterday, the Guards said in a statement carried by the semi-official Fars news agency.
Five boats believed to belong to the Guards approached a British oil tanker in the Persian Gulf yesterday and asked it to stop in Iranian waters close by but withdrew after a British warship warned them, U.S. officials said.
The Guards’ Navy said in a statement their patrol boats were carrying out normal duties, according to Fars.
“In the past 24 hours there has been no encounter with foreign ships including English ships,” the statement said.
Tensions between Iran and the United States and its allies have risen sharply since Washington stepped up economic sanctions against Iran and moved to bring its oil exports to zero as part of a “maximum pressure” policy to make Iran halt actions that it said undermined regional security.
British Royal Marines boarded an Iranian tanker, Grace 1, off Gibraltar last week and seized it on suspicion that it was breaking sanctions by taking oil to Syria. – Reuters