Politics

Harness conventional, new media to counter negative perception of govt

zahidhamidi

Syndicated News
Written by Syndicated News

KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 22 2017 : Barisan Nasional (BN) must harness both the conventional and new media as a strategy to counter the people’s negative perception of the government, said Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi.

He said that this was pschological warfare and that those who were able to influence the minds of the people would win the war.

Citing newly-elected United States President Donald Trump as an example, he said that Trump’s victory was due to the fact that his team was able to win the hearts of voters using the new media.

He said BN nearly lost in the last two general elections because of it’s failure to control perceptions.

As such, he said that it was important for the BN machinery at all levels to work hard to harness the two mediums to get the people to change their perception so that they would be pro-government.

“GE14 (14th general election) will be here soon, we have to change, change channel, medium and our communication methods.

“We must change and move forward so that the people’s perception is in favour of Umno and BN,” he said when launching Wanita Umno’s Communication and Media Squad at the Putra World Trade Centre here Sunday.

Also present were Wanita Umno leader Datuk Seri Shahrizat Abdul Jalil and Special Affairs Department director-general Datuk Dr Mohd Puad Zarkashi.

Ahmad Zahid, who is also Home Minister and Umno vice president but discharging the duties of deputy president, said the people’s perception of the government was now very negative, at 87 per cent (against), due to influence by the new media which was mostly anti-establishment, despite the government having done its best.

He said a study showed only 6.6 per cent of the new media (in the country) supported the government, while the remaining 93.4 per cent were anti-establishment.

“That is at a ratio of 1:15. I urge that from today, beginning with Wanita Umno, we are not in the 6.6 per cent, we have to be at 93.4 per cent so that information reaches our target group,” he added.

The Wanita Umno Communication and Media Squad, besides becoming agents to disseminate information of government policies to the grassroots, will also act as the government’s eyes and ears. – Bernama

Comments

comments

About the author

Syndicated News

Syndicated News

News sourced from Bernama, Reuters, AFP and other accredited news agencies, including credible blogsites and news portals.