PUTRAJAYA — July 25, 2016: The government wants those named in the United States Department of Justice (DoJ) lawsuits to clear their names to prove there was no misuse of public funds.
In so saying, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak also reiterated that the government took a serious view of the report and is prepared to extend full cooperation in the investigation.
“Let’s not get carried away with the matter. Leave it to the judicial process, for we believe that sooner or later the truth will prevail,” he said at the presentation at the Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin Mosque here today of offer letters to perform the haj.
A total of 1,100 people comprising imams, village chiefs and chairmen of village development and security committees received the letters from the 1Malaysia Development Berhad Foundation.
The DoJ recently filed civil lawsuits to seize assets acquired with money allegedly misappropriated from 1MDB, the government investment fund.
Najib said 1MDB was often the target of censure despite having spent hundreds of millions of ringgit on social
and community programmes.
However he assured that efforts to consolidate 1MDB would continue, adding that he was confident the company would gain strength.
So far 4,611 people have been sent to perform the haj since 2011 under the programme with an allocation of RM10.4 million. — Bernama