KUALA LUMPUR — Jan. 8, 2020: Umno, Wanita MCA and two companies received large sum of money from the personal account of former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak, with the first two named being given a total of close to RM200 million.
That the money came from a personal account instead of from Umno or the Barisan Nasional raised suspicion, said prosecutor Mahadi Abdul Jumaat.
Perano Sdn. Bhd. received hundreds of thousands of ringgit for scarves for a BN event while Binsabi Sdn. Bhd. received payment for the supply of tents, also for a political event.
Mahadi was leading the prosecution team in the hearing to forfeit nearly RM194 million, allegedly linked to 1Malaysia Development Berhad, that was seized from the four by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission.
According to the applicatios, Umno received RM192 million, Binsabi RM827,250, Perano RM337,000 and Wanita MCA RM300,000).
On claims by the respondents that they did not know the source of the money, Mahadi contended that this was not a strong defence.
“At the time of receiving the money they had no knowledge of the source but during the seizure, they knew.
“If the money had been fully disposed off, they can forfeit to the government in two ways — either by replacing it rr voluntarily returning it,” said Mahadi.
Judge Mohamed Zaini Mazlan set February 6 for a decision.