Local

Former intelligence chief pleads not guilty to CBT

Datuk Hasanah Abdul Hamid

Datuk Hasanah Abdul Hamid

Syndicated News
Written by Syndicated News

KUALA LUMPUR — Oct. 25, 2018: The former former head of the Malaysian External Intelligence Organisation, Datuk Hasanah Ab. Hamid, today pleaded not guilty to a criminal breach of trust charge involving US$12.1 million belonging to the Malaysian government.

Hasanah, 61, in her capacity as a civil servant, was charged with committing the offence at the Prime Minister’s Department between last April 30 and May 9.

The prosecution led by Kamal Baharin Omar offered bail of RM1 million but lawyer Datuk Shaharudin Ali, representing Hasanah, requested the amount to be reduced to RM300,000.

Shaharudin also said the charge was not linked either to the cases involving former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak and former Treasury secretary-general Tan Sri Irwan Serigar Abdullah or 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB).

“She is a 61-year-old woman who is  physically weak and not able to move like other people. After she was released from remand last September 3, she could have fled or hid, but she chose to remain in Selangor.

“The accused is also a former director-general who is now publicly known as the country’s key intelligence agent, whose job is similar to the that of the special branch and military intelligence. She had been trained and taught to safeguard the country’s security, hence she could not have been afraid to flee from the country,” said Shaharudin.

Kamal Baharin objected, saying it was unreasonable considering the amount she was charged for.

The court allowed bail of RM500,000 in two sureties, asked Hasanah to surrender her passport to the court and fixed November 29 for mention. — Bernama

 

Comments

comments

About the author

Syndicated News

Syndicated News

News sourced from Bernama, Reuters, AFP and other accredited news agencies, including credible blogsites and news portals.