Thick smoke was visible several kilometres away.
Witness Mohd. Syawal Indra realised there was a fire after seeing thick smoke.
“I also heard people screaming for help and quickly went to help put out the fire. We were successful in almost extinguishing the blaze at one point but exploding gas cylinders caused the fire to spread,” he said.
Zaharatulnisa Zuharno, who has been living in rented premises there since 2004, lost all her belongings.
“We now have only the clothes on our back. We do not know how and where the fire started, but we do not want to blame anyone,” she said.
Second Finance Minister and Titiwangsa Member of Parliament Datuk Seri Johari Abdul Ghani said all the victims would be temporarily accommodated at the People’s Housing Programme flats.
He said it was believed that the fire started from a rented house.
“I would like to advise tenants not to tamper with any electrical wiring without the knowledge of Tenaga Nasional,” he told reporters. — Bernama