JAKARTA — December 7, 2016: Indonesia’s National Agency for Disaster Management (BNPB) has confirmed that so far 52 people have been killed in the earthquake that hit the Pidie Jaya district in Aceh this morning.
Another 73 people were reported injured and 200 suffered slight injuries in the earthquake which measured 6.5 on the Richter scale.
All the injured and killed have been sent to three hospitals in the surrounding areas.
In a media statement here, BNPB information data and community relations head, Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, said that although the earthquake was strong, a tsunami alert was not issued.
Sixty-five houses were reported badly damaged, with the residents temporarily placed in camps and evacuation centres which were opened at noon.
The agency had also detected several aftershocks but these were under 4.5 on the Richter scale.
President Joko Widodo expressed his sadness over the disaster and urged the people to be calm.
A victim, Zulkarnian (only one name), told Bernama that when the earthquake hit, he was at a housing estate and was shocked when he saw the houses shaking.