KUALA LUMPUR – March 12, 2018: Gagasan Sejahtera, the PAS-led opposition pact, has outlined nine main thrusts in its 14th general elections manifesto, with strengthening the power of the syariah courts the most significant.
Other members of the coalition are Ikatan, Berjasa and several non-governmental organisations.
PAS secretary-general Datuk Takiyuddin Hassan said today that the aim of further empowerment of the syariah courts will be done without infringing the federal Constitution.
The full manifesto will be revealed in Cyberjaya on Sunday.
The nine thrusts are:
1. Form a government of integrity, trustworthy and free from corruption;
2. Increase the people’s incomes and create more jobs;
3. Mitigate the impact of rising cost of living and inflation;
4. Reduce the economic disparities the urban and rural communities;
5. Improve the quality of education so as to enhance human capital;
6. Harmonise the legal system and governance in line with Islamic jurisprudence;
7. Strengthen federalism by devolving certain rights to the states;
8. Empower free speech in accordance with Islamic and democratic practices; and
9. Bolster the social support system for the needy.
This is the party’s first manifesto since the dissolution of the opposition coalition Pakatan Rakyat in 2015 due to a fallout between PAS and DAP. PAS went on to form its own coalition on March 16, 2016.
When asked about Gagasan’s preparations for the elections, PAS deputy president Datuk Tuan Ibrahim Tuan Man, who was present at today’s press conference, said the coalition planned to contest at least 130 seats.
The party also announced that its annual assembly scheduled from May 4 to 6 has been postponed to an unspecified date due to GE14.
Additional reporting by Zaidi Azmi