World

Covid-19: US attacks Chinese disinformation campaign

Mike Pompeo

TheMole
Written by TheMole

March 26 2020

United States has accused China of conducting a campaign of “disinformation” over the Covid-19 pandemic.

US secretary of state Mike Pompeo yesterday claimed that the Group of Seven (G7) powers were united over the matter.

Pompeo and foreign ministers of the other G7 countries – Britain, Canada, France, Germany, Italy and Japan – earlier had a meeting via videoconference to discuss the pandemic.

“Every one of the nations that were at that meeting this morning was deeply aware of the disinformation campaign that the Chinese Communist Party is engaged in to try and deflect from what has really taken place,” Pompeo told the media.

He said China has been waging a social media campaign that included conspiracy theories which blame US for the pandemic.

A Chinese foreign ministry spokesman had suggested on Twitter that US troops brought the virus to Wuhan, the city where Covid-19 was first detected late last year.

More than half of all Americans are currently placed under a stay home order, including residents of the largest state, California.

US has so far recorded 65,700 Covid-19 cases and 942 people have died of the pandemic there.

The G7 meeting, however, failed to produce a joint statement with reports indicating that the other member countries had declined the use of certain strong words as suggested by US.

Pompeo later on did not deny one of the reports which said he had wanted Covid-19 be referred to as “Wuhan virus”.

France and Germany in their statements on the G7 meeting did not mention China, while Canada said China was part of the “broader discussions”.

Comments

comments

About the author

TheMole

TheMole