KUALA LUMPUR, June 1 2020: The Sultan of Selangor has extended the partial ban on prayers at mosques in the state to June 30 as part of measures to prevent the spread of Covid-19.
The Sultan’s private secretary Datuk Mohamad Munir Bani said the decision to extend the ban, which was initially to end on May 31 was because of the continued worries of Covid-19 infection.
“Therefore, with a heavy heart, the Selangor Sultan has decided that the period of prohibition of Friday prayers and the solat lima waktu (prayers five times daily) at mosques and suraus will be extended until June 30, 2020 except for 39 mosques that had been allowed before this to carry out Friday prayers with the numbers fixed,” Mohamad Munir said in a statement today.
Mohamad Munir said the azan (call to prayer) will still be broadcasted and that the five-times daily prayers will still be carried out by a total of three mosque officials namely the imam, bilal and siak of mosques and suraus.
“However, a review will be done after the first week of June 2020, and if the spread of Covid-19 is found to have reduced consistently, then considerations will be made to enable the numbers of Friday prayer congregants to be increased and for mosques to be opened earlier for Friday prayers to be held gradually, especially in areas categorised as green zones,” he said.
Mohamad Munir added that the Sultan of Selangor is closely monitoring the latest news on Covid-19 including the declining trend of new cases in the state.