Local

Court rules against govt seizing money received by foundation from Najib

TheMole
Written by TheMole

KUALA LUMPUR, June 11 2020: The High Court here today dismissed the government’s bid to seize RM100,000 from a foundation that received the sum from former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak seven years ago.

Judge Muhammad Jamil Hussin made the ruling on grounds that the prosecution had failed to prove the case against Yayasan Persatuan Bekas Anggota Kemas Malaysia (PBAKM) on the balance of probability.

He said the foundation never denied receiving a cheque for RM100,000 from Najib in October 2013 but contended that it was not aware that the sum was proceeds from illegal activities.

“It also showed the court evidence that after receiving the cheque, there were multiple transactions in its accounts. At one point, it only had about RM1,500,” he said.

Jamil said the prosecution had failed to prove that the RM100,000 or part of it was still available in the foundation’s bank account up till May 19, last year.

Deputy public prosecutor Nik Haslinie Hashim told the court a stay application on today’s decision would be submitted as soon as possible.

The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) is seeking to recover RM270 million from 41 individuals and organisations in funds allegedly channelled from Najib‘s account.

MACC had also issued compounds to recover RM420 million allegedly from 1MDB channelled to 80 individuals and organisations.

Comments

comments

About the author

TheMole

TheMole