Police provoked by Bersih participants - Bar Council


Police provoked by Bersih participants - Bar Council

Police provoked by Bersih participants - Bar Council

Thursday, May 3, 2012
  • Bersih Polis
A bloody day for police officers

KUALA LUMPUR: A 30-page Malaysian Bar Council interim report about Bersih 3.0 admits that demonstrators had consistently provoked the police.


The council, in a section titled '(ii) Unruly behaviour of the participants', noted that the demonstrators had booed, jeered and insulted with derogatory words but the policemen did not retaliate until after the barricades at Dataran Merdeka were breached.


"At around 12.50pm near the roundabout on Jalan Kinabalu, some of our monitors heard some rally participants calling the police officers “sampah” as they passed the police line. The police officers, however, did not pay heed to what was said by the participants.


"Around 12pm to 1pm, participants at the intersection of Jalan Tun Perak, Jalan TAR and Jalan Raja, booed and jeered at police officers but there was no retaliation by the police. Some police officers took pictures of the crowd surrounding them," the council said.


Meanwhile, blogger Semut Hitam noted that the council's report  compiled from observations made by 78 monitoring personnels, stated that authorities had multiple of tear gas canisters launched and water cannons shot at the rioters immediate after the latter shouted 'masuk, masuk'.


However, few other blogs including The  Unspinner had highlighted that the riot was initiated after a man in Bersih T-shirt, believed to be from PKR Rasah in Negeri Sembilan, breached the police barricades at Dataran Merdeka.



The suspect apparently broke through the barricades after getting the nod from Opposition leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim and PKR deputy president Azmin Ali.


The scene was recorded and posted on Youtube, but Anwar has since denied that he had signaled Azmin to breach the barricades.


The Mole had previously reported that both Azmin and Anwar vehemently denied they

were responsible for the peaceful rally turning into ugly riots.


Mainstream media reported Tuesady that police have detained a PKR leader from Negeri Sembilan on Monday to assist investigation into the riots on Saturday.


"The man detained is investigated under Section 440 of the Penal Code for committing mischief in an unlawful assembly," KL police chief Datuk Mohmad Salleh was quoted in the Malay Mail.


Blogger GAP had published pictures of police officers attacked by Bersih demonstrators.


Inspector General Police Tan Sri Ismail Omar in a statement after the riots had pointed that the water cannon and tear gas was only fired to disperse rioters after they broke through police barricades, an action which clearly breached the law, violated a court order and ignored the spirit of Peaceful Assembly Act 2012.