Calls intensify for Moorthy & Ganabatirau to resign

Left - Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department P Waytha Moorthy, right - Selangor exco V Ganabatirau

Left - Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department P Waytha Moorthy, right - Selangor exco V Ganabatirau

Ahirul Ahirudin
Written by Ahirul Ahirudin

KUALA LUMPUR – December 18, 2018: National Unity and Social Wellbeing Minister P. Waytha Moorthy and Selangor executive councillor V. Ganabatirau have came under increasing calls to resign following the death of fireman Muhammad Adib Mohd. Kassim yesterday due to injuries suffered during rioting at a Hindu temple a few weeks ago.

Less than 24 hours after Adib succumbed to the injuries, the hashtag #justice4Adib, which mostly targeted the two politicians, had been tweeted and retweeted 32,000 times.

Moorthy and Ganabatirau became the source of public ire for the way they were seen to have handled the issue of the rioting at the Sri Maha Mariamman Temple in USJ 25 near Putra Heights.

Other hashtags, such as #pecatWaytha, #lucutWatha and #Waythamustgo are also gaining traction in social media, with all demanding the minister to step down.

Mahfudzal Hafiz, through his Twitter account, said Moorthy did not handle the riot with tact and has failed to justify his portfolio.

“I call for his resignation and I believe many Malaysians are with me,” said Mahfudzal.

His opinion was echoed by many, including Hafeez Farouqi, Idris Halim and Ammir Syakhir whom all shared the opinion that Moorthy cannot remain in the government.

Besides them, one Twitter user Hazwan Mohammad  even wants the government to stop paying Moorthy’s salary.

Besides besieging Moorthy, Facebook users like Iza Sarera demanded the resignation of Ganabatirau, who was also widely criticised for his Facebook post during the riot.

On November 26, Ganabatirau, through Faceook, said a group of Muslims had attacked the temple.

Moorthy’s Facebook page could no longer be accessed since earlier today after people left numerous negative comments.

The temple’s relocation came to a boil on the morning of Nov. 26 when a clash broke out between two groups in the temple grounds.

The next day, in a counter-riot by temple supporters, Adib, who was responding to an emergency call, was dragged out of his fire engine and beaten by the mob. He died yesterday evening at the National Heart Institute and was buried in his hometown of Kuala Kedah this afternoon.



About the author

Ahirul Ahirudin

Ahirul Ahirudin