KUALA LUMPUR — July 30, 2015: Four experts from the Department of Civil Aviation, Malaysia Airlines and Transport Ministry will leave for Paris tonight to determine if debris found on Reunion Island in the Indian Ocean belongs to missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370.
This was confirmed by Deputy Transport Minister Datuk Abdul Aziz Kaprawi who said the team would leave directly for Paris.
“We have contacted the Office of Investigations and Analysis (BEA) which is the French investigation body for accidents in civil aviation, on this find.
“We came to an agreement that they will bring the flaperon to Paris, so our team will work together with them in making (the) verifications in Paris,” he told Bernama here today.
In a posting on his blog NajibRazak.com, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak said Malaysia has dispatched two teams – one to Toulouse and another to Reunion Island – following the discovery of airline debris on the Indian Ocean island.
“To find out as fast as possible, the debris will be shipped by French authorities to Toulouse, site of the nearest office of the BEA.”
Najib said the location where the debris was found is consistent with the drift analysis provided to the Malaysian investigation team, which showed a route from the southern Indian Ocean to Africa.
It was reported that besides the piece of debris, a suitcase was also found near the same vicinity, furthering speculation that it all could be from the
Flight MH370 disappeared from the radar on March 8 last year while en route from here to Beijing with 227 passengers and 12 crew.
On January 29 this year, the DCA announced the flight’s disappearance as an accident under international aviation regulations, and that all 239 people on board were considered to have died.