Local

Another MACC forfeiture suit on alleged 1MDB funds thrown out

The suits were all filed last year after Latheefa Koya was appointed by the Pakatan Harapan government to head the MACC.

TheMole
Written by TheMole

KUALA LUMPUR — June 11, 2020: Another party has won against a bid by the previous federal government to forfeit monies allegedly received from former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak eight years ago.

Just days ago Jakel Trading and Johor Baru BN also received favourable judgments in relation to similar contributions. The monies in all these cases were said to be from illegal activities involving sovereign 1Malaysia Development Berhad.

Today the High Court ruled in favour of Yayasan Persatuan Bekas Anggota Kemas Malaysia (PBAKM).

Justice Muhammad Jamil Hussin came to this decision after finding that the prosecution had failed to prove the monies were indeed received from Najib either partially or wholly.

Further, it found that the applicant had failed to show which parts of the monies came from Najib or other sources.

According to Justice Jamil, Najib had issued a cheque in October 2013 which was deposited into PBAKM’s account.

The respondent’s account also showed that since the cheque was deposited, there had been inflow and outflow of transactions into its account and the lowest balance was RM1,512.46 on March 31, 2016.

There were more transactions later and as of May 13 last year the balance , was RM805,751.13.

“It is clear that the RM100,000 in question and the latest balance are a mixture of money from Najib and other sources,” said the judge.

PBAKM had never denied in its affidavit that the money was from Najib but disputed that it was from illegal activities.

The suit against PBAKM was one of several filed against 41 respondents by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission last year to recover about RM270 million.

Comments

comments

About the author

TheMole

TheMole